Saturday, August 29, 2009

My favorite wedding planning tool.

Throughout this process so far, I've been looking for ways to make it easier. The majority of my life is planned out online, and I expected that the wedding would be no different. Imagine my surprise when I found that the majority of people go the magazine/binder route, clipping out the pictures of things they liked. I wanted to have all my inspiration all in one place -- but I've been finding most of my inspiration online, where I find there's a) a lot more to choose from, and b) it's free!

So that left me with the problem of creating a central place where all the inspiration pictures/words could go. I have on occasion made inspiration boards to put in my binder - which is a post of its own - but I don't like to waste a lot of paper and ink. I was still kind of struggling when somehow I heard about this magical thing called... tumblr. It is kind of a weird concept, but is really an amazing, untapped resource for brides who want to make sure that all their inspiration gets the right credit.

Basically, tumblr is a site that collects bits and pieces you find around the internet. I have a "share on tumblr" button on my internet toolbar, and I use it all the time. When you click the button you have the option of posting text, a link, chat, video or (my personal favorite) a picture! It keeps the linked information, so you don't have to worry about writing where you got it in bookmarks or in the name of the picture. You can also "tag" each post, so that you can type in a different url and see only specific items. For example, I have a "bridesmaid" tag, and I type in www.tumblr.com/mysite/tagged/bridesmaid and all my bridesmaid inspiration pictures come up. It's really pretty fantastic, and I have no idea what I would do without it! It's also fun to look through at times and see the evolution of my wedding style.

Here's a quick screen shot of what my tumblr page looks like..

As you can see, I mostly post pictures, but I have also posted readings I like, different potential song choices for father/daughter and first dances, and links to DIY tutorials that I might use.